Proposal - Build a Decentralised Email service on top of HOPR

that was my initial thought about hopr… when i just read the first 5 lines about the project. would love it

This is much needed.

Where is the e-mail data stored?

Great idea but there are a few things that I disagree on:

• The node in the background should be completely optional or there will be no good adoption for this client. Not everyone likes or understands what that means and it can be a deterrent.
  • One single email address should be enough for a free solution.
  • Proton Mail isn’t free over one address and that’s pretty limited as well. Don’t know what the incentive would be for them to build this client unless it’s on top of their own solution, as it would otherwise cut into their business.
  • If there’s no node running in the background, I don’t think it’s a good idea to provide further incentives other than the privacy you get.

Great proposal @MeowMeow23 - just some pointers for other projects that might be beneficial here to think about:

• Log in with Ethereum allows you to log in without relying web2.0 legacy services that can be censored
  • Anonymous credential schemes such as Panther Protocol could allow you to authenticate (e.g. paying) users without revealing their identity.

I find it important to realize that HOPR is not trying to conquer the entire stack but do the most fundamental layer (transport) right. There’s a bunch of other relevant services that we can leverage, the two above are maybe relevant within the framework of this proposal.

First of thank you for your constructive1 feedback. appreciate it

Totally agree on point 1.I also think that most of the people in the world do not have unlimited internet, therefore it totally make sense.

The reason I mentioned 2-3 email alias is that I think an individual needs more than one email to manage their personal affairs considering cyber security risks/hacking etc. Its not wise to use one email address for all personal matters including finance/social media etc. Its a risk to the consumer. Therefore I thought it would be nice to provide this feature. I do acknowledge proton mail provides only one email but that does not’ mean we also have todo the same.

Finally the reason I quoted proton mail is that, If I’m not mistaken they started as a non profit organization to advocate privacy and HOPR solution would be quite attractive for them to move into the web3.0. As both are swiss projects, I think there is high probability for a partnership

Appreciate your feedback @SCBuergel

I also think Storj seem to be an ideal decentralised storage protocol we could use for this proposal. Not sure how feasible as I do not understand the tech side of it but seems to be a promising project.

Finally, I totally agree on you point that we should leverage existing services and incorporate HOPR where it is required

1 Like

Great idea @MeowMeow23
I have been using protonmail (Swiss made email service) and always was thinking how to increase it’s security unless found out about Hopr.
The main problem here in my opinion is organization of decentralized data storage. What is one or several dedicated servers that hosting email will be compromised? Is there any solution to keep data mixed on all decentralized network?

well it seems there are many decentralised storage projects in the crypto space. Filecoin, storj are some of it. You can get a list in Coingecgko if you filter coins based on storage protocols. I think one of theses projects would definitely be in scope for this idea.

I need this very much. Good idea!

Great idea

Would be a fantastic replacement for protonmail

A decentralized email service based on HOPR is a perfect application example. I will support this idea!

Thanks for the proposal @MeowMeow23. I’ve marked it as incomplete for now, because I’d like to see more information related to @SCBuergel’s point about other projects. I’ve added some notes about composability in far-reaching dApp ideas to the validity guidelines: Proposal Validity Guidelines - UPDATED

This doesn’t need to be in-depth, but a valid proposal should acknowledge where HOPR only has a partial (but crucial) role to play.

Solving security problems when working with e-mail is a very important issue, it was interesting to work on this moment.

Nice

good idea. Support

@thewanderingeditor

Thanks for your inputs, Do I need to add more information to make this proposal valid or you are awaiting the tech team to confirm if this is feasible. I have done my best to capture all points as per the Proposal Validity Guidelines and I’m afraid, Im unable to capture all other protocols that can be in scope in order to achieve this idea as I’m not a tech guy.

1 Like

Good day yesterday! Would it be great? considering that the very spirit of freedom and decentralization of cryptocurrencies is coming to naught. HOPR can turn into a whole network of applications providing freedom.

1 Like

If you don’t feel you can add any more, I’ll mark it as pending so the tech team can review. I’m afraid they may consider it invalid due to the lack of implementation details.