There are many other decentralized privacy projects that market (or actually go) into the same direction as HOPR. Why don’t we “buy a share” of another project - as traditional companies would do with startups or potential rivals?
There are different reasons for it:
- partial control and potential upside of other projects
- potential synergies
- fundamentally new in terms of that a DAO decides to buy a share of another company / project
- somewhat it is also a (guerilla / agressive) marketing strategy
- idea is different to the other ideas in the discussion
Since the idea requires quite a bit of research and coordination, I propose to post a “job” or a bounty that incentivizes a member of the community to
a. research a short list of appropriate projects
- I would see two options: projects that are based on xDAI (-> Link) or projects of direct rivals of HOPR (-> VPN / Privacy related)
b. organise a vote / poll on the forum (only a vote, since another round of discussion could be quite time consuming)
c. buy the share (in cooperation with the HOPR foundation). If negotiations needed, do the negotiations.
One part of the budget will be used for governance (see Implementation part). The rest of the budget depends on the choosen strategy.
Spontaneously there might be the following:
- a small pilot (maybe $50k) with the goal to test the approach and gain experience on what the potential benefits / challenges are
- go all in (full $150k): focus on one project (based on the vote) to get best possible effect
- buy a rival (full $150k and potentially more): since the goal would, most probably be, to buy a relevant share of the rival more $$ are needed and the greater is the governance / implementation part
Apart from “buy a rival” no HOPR token should not be needed.