Proposal - Plug&play hopr on Private file sharing apps

[Disclaimer: I am not a tech guy so the proposal will be high level at this point and don’t have enough information of the feasibility of this proposal]

My proposal is to build an integration with private file sharing apps where they could leverage hopr network to secure the privacy of their systems.

Every established company uses either an external provider or builds an in house file sharing tool for privacy and security reasons. At the same time, these private file sharing apps are widely adopted for personal use cases where people just need to send files to each other in an anonymous and secure way.

There are number of studies around these existing apps that found weaknesses in the protocols. From “A study of privacy in file sharing networks” by Danny Bickson, the conclusion is obvious:“We have sistematically shown that users of file sharing networks like eMule and Gnutella do not enjoy privacy but are subject to possible surveillance. Users can be probabilistically tracked by their IP address, DNS name, software version they use, files they share, queries they initiate and queries they answer.”

This app 2 main use cases would be:

• For companies to plug and play and use their existing in-house solutions in the hopr network and increase the privacy of internally file sharing tools
  • For general available file sharing apps to also plug and play their solutions in hopr network for enhanced privacy

Any suggestion to modify this proposal is welcome

1 Like

Thank you for this proposal - maybe you could highlight a scenario where your IP address reveals important information about yourself? That would make it easier to highlight where and why HOPR specifically is a good transport solution for such a project.

1 Like

thanks @SCBuergel , i’ve added some more research around these networks. From “A study of privacy in file sharing networks” by Danny Bickson, the conclusion is obvious:“We have sistematically shown that users of file sharing networks like eMule and Gnutella do not enjoy privacy but are subject to possible surveillance. Users can be probabilistically tracked by their IP address, DNS name, software version they use, files they share, queries they initiate and queries they answer.”