[Proposal] VPN Replacement

VPN consumes large bandwidth resource and right now might be a huge “hop” to squeeze other possible apps and potential networks stability. Instead, a VPN limited to some apps/actions only will play a good fit, (for example, snapshot vote). In general, I like the idea while we need to think about a good phase for this idea.

1 Like

Good idea. I support VPN proposition.

This should be looked at. Nice!

I support your idea

VPN on HOPR, I like this concept!

VPN with full participation or directly supported by HOPR, great idea!

If it was a fee paying service, it could generate new revenue for node runners

Interesting addition @MonkeyTennis . Potentially negotiate with the dApp partner to have them inject additional payment tickets into the HOPR protocol based on hops, bandwidth, number of users, etc., etc.

maybe someone can enlight me:

I get it, how the h0pR network can scramble the DNS of the original request. But at the point, where the data is feed into the network, this DNS would still be on record. And if this would be my h0pR node, I would be linked to the request. Is this right?

1 Like

I like this idea!

Fully support!

This is what I was expecting from HOPR at some point since the start, or at least envisioned that one day I can use the HOPR network as a VPN.
But instead of buying tokens to pay for the subscription, people could stake hopr or hold hopr which allows them to use X amount of data per month (e.g. 1000 HOPR = 1GB of privacy data volume) while people running nodes get their node stake amount and a better rate for the volume per HOPR? This would incentivize people to hold and stake HOPR for the long term and give it a particular utility in this case instead of just being a currency that people need to buy to buy the service after (if they don’t participate in the network).

1 Like

I like that approach of a “VPN replacement”

@lau.thomas I guess your question boils down to nodes holding any responsibility for “bad” behavior? This is important to understand but may be beyond the scope of this DAO experiment. Maybe we can get some insight from the team at some point.

opportunity for educational content @SCBuergel

Hi @Emmerson_Biggins. I think this could potentially be a valid proposal, but we’d need to see the discussion from this thread synthesised into a single post which meets the validity guidelines:

Remember, if you’re finished and would like to make this an official proposal, please edit the title to include “[Proposal]”. It will then be flagged for moderation.

This is clearly the most straightforward application of HOPR, and probably the most useful as it can be applied to proxy any sort of software communication.

This is the perfect idea for HOPR. I support.

I completely agree. In my opinion, the most interesting idea of all. But it seems to me more interesting if there will not a subscription, but payment in real time at the time of using VPN (this would be an advantage in relation to other VPN services). Tokens received from the provision of services can be put into staking, or stimulation an enthusiasts.

Ease of use for the end user would be important. Would payment in real time mean that every end user must hold HOPR to use the service? I can see both sides of that. Both strategies could be an option.

Good idea. I totally agree